Wacky Words of WineSense

Interested in a review, got a comment or question? EMAIL Us!

Sip, pour, get me some more.

Learn more about Ms. WackSense (Christina Julian) at christinajulian.com

Proud to Be Picky About My Pizza

While I cringe at the thought of being called a wine snob (not very likely since I so often talk about slurping wine), I am not at all bashful about labeling myself a pizza snob and with good reason. Nothing against the West Coast, this coastline is arguably much prettier than the nameless coast that I grew up on (east – keep this hush) but when it comes to pizza pie this side of the country could stand to learn a thing or two from the Right coast. I don’t have time to get into a pizza smack down with everyone, but one of my assignments as a food columnist in New York City was to troll the streets of the city for an entire year looking for the best slice in town, so as far as credibility, I know of what I type/speak. I have been pretty unimpressed as far as slices go, especially in Southern California, none down there are really worth mentioning, though I do remain ever-hopeful. As far Napa goes, I’ve mentioned numerous times that the food here rules! I kept my nose held high and snobby for just a few short weeks when I moved here, trying to scrounge up some good pizza, until I tumbled into Pizzeria Tra Vigne. It doesn’t really count as NYC style pizza, not much does, but TV’s is a variety all its own, a damn good one. Knowing that I’m quite biased when it comes to traditional standards like cheese and pepperoni pizza, I went in a different tasting direction and tried the Vespa. Let’s start with the crust, as that is at the heart of any good pizza. This one is doughy, dense and crisp, all essential qualities. I can’t tell you how many soggy crusts I have sunk into, it is embarrassing for everyone involved, and downright disturbing when you are the taster. Note to all pizza makers - when the crust is floppy you can’t call it crust and you most certainly can't call it pizza! Period. So, thank you Tra Vigne for getting the consistency balance right, no easy feat. As far stacking a flavor punch, you get an A in that department too. Fancy and flip topping combos are oft over done and downright stupid most of the time, but not the case here. The Vespa’s chicken apple sausage, smoked mozzarella, oven roasted onions and spinach concoction is a dandy one. A delectable mix that’s fresh, flavorful and admittedly just a tad fabulous. The cheese-to-sauce-to-toppings ratio is right on the mark. There is a secret nameless ingredient that makes this pie dance down my throat, to me it tastes like nutmeg or cinnamon or a bit of both, but it brings the pie all together. Thankfully, this pizza has tided me over, week after week, and month after month, until I finally make my way back home to good ole NYC. Until then, keep up the good work TV, this gal’s pizza palate is hard to please and right now, I am very, very, pleased. If anybody out there in the blogsphere knows of a pizza pie that you deem worthy of a taste, please email me ASAP. I challenge you to find one that will make me cry tears of food joy. This is one smack down that I would kill to be a part of. May all the good pizzas in town rise to my occasion and attention. Wacky WineSense Rating: 4.7 Grapes!

No comments:

Post a Comment