Wacky Words of WineSense

Interested in a review, got a comment or question? EMAIL Us!

Sip, pour, get me some more.

Learn more about Ms. WackSense (Christina Julian) at christinajulian.com

Venge Wine is Ve-vi-licious!

I’m not sure, as a wine reporter, if it is ok to make up words, but I am taking blogging liberties in support of a good cause. If I had to break it down to one legit word for Venge wine, it would be very delicious ( you say potato – so I can say Ve-vi-licious, it just sounds sexier, sort of like their wines make you feel). So many tasty wine morsels too little time, but let me try to put my over-achieving to good use just this once, by babbling on about as many of their wines as possible in one small blurb. Here were my favorites for the day (hint – I’ll need them to invite me back for more!). Champ des Fleurs. I drank this beaut of a wine when it was at least 107 degrees in Calistoga. Viognier is my favorite style of white, second only to Sav Blanc. This white gave me a bit of both (10% V / 60% SB) and then they tossed in some Chard (30%) to keep things bouncing - mainly my taste buds. Pineapple upside down cake, dry, crisp, deep and flower-filled. I’m hoping that some strapping young gent will give me a bouquet of this wine, so much better than flowers. I tasted two Sangioveses, Penny Lane and Atlas, they were both delicious, but the later was my fav. It’s sharp, hefty and dense all at the same time, a “Chianti” style wine right here in Calistoga (though we can’t reference it that way). If you like a little BBQ with your red wine, Scout’s Honor, a zippy Zin blend, is the perfect mate to your carnage. He’s a peppery, meaty mouthful. Bite burger, slurp wine, suck steak, slurp more wine, you get my drift. And while I am throwing metaphors all over the place I will regress to my childhood for just a moment. The next two wines are likened to Beauty (Gladys’ Syrah) and the Beast (Muhlner Steps Syrah) but oh so much better than Disney’s version. I challenge you to dub yourself a beauty or beast. Then taste these wines side by side. It will be clear which you are by the wine your lips gravitate to. For me the more hefty the wine the better, but on that scorcher of a day I enjoyed the calmer, quieter, smoother and serene tones of Gladdy. She was the bomb, a cherry bomb, but a polite one. The Beast (Muhlner) was not shabby either, spectacular actually. Tomorrow I may become a beast, who knows. It was scrappy, deep, a massive bounty of dark fruits with just a ding of expresso (or perhaps I was just jonesing for coffee?). So if you’re ready to wake up your wine taste buds, beg, borrow, steal, give you kiddies away, whatever it takes to score a visit or some of this wine. I’m going to be hopefully optimistic, and assume they will be pouring at the upcoming CHEERS! St. Helena - Social this Friday!. If they are, you’ll know where to find the scribe behind this wine babble madness. Wacky WineSense Rating: 4.9!

No comments:

Post a Comment