Wacky Words of WineSense

Interested in a review, got a comment or question? EMAIL Us!

Sip, pour, get me some more.

Learn more about Ms. WackSense (Christina Julian) at christinajulian.com

One redeeming morsel from LA's Venice Beach

It is rare (ok next to never) that I ever have anything nice to say about my former stint as an LA resident (6 years too many), and especially on the food front. While it is one of our biggest cities I have never been wowed by the food, not even close. And believe me I wanted more than anything for there to be something that would offset the many not so cool things about living there (smog, traffic, more smog, plastic people, and more smog). Unfortunately the food was not that something. But on a recent jaunt back I finally found something worth typing about at a hip (aren't they supposedly all in La La land) Venice Beach haunt in the Abbot Kinney district called Gjelina. Folks clamour to get into this place at all hours of the day, and for once, it is rightly deserved. Everything here from the rustic minimalistic communal table style decour on up to the fresh small plates, cut to order cheeses and meats, smart and savory takes on veggies, mussels that made my own explode just by sucking these babies down, and their uber thin crispy pizzas (my fav was the lamb agiaso). All cry worthy, as were a handful of wines. But all of that goodness aside the desert that draws me and calls me to make the blessedly long journey to SoCal is the Butterscoth pot de creme. It sounds like a simple dish, and one I would typically pass up, not being a huge fan of butterscoth, but this thing is, there is not other way to put it (children hide your eyes), simply orgasmic. And it's impact and memory last well into the night. The rock salt garnish tops off this decadent delight just right and reminds me of a super gourmet pay day bar without the nuts. It is so rich that you could share, but so damn god I would never dare. After 6 years in LA I finally found something to shout about. If you find yourself subjected to the area, Gjelina is a must stop, but call and book ahead. Otherwise you'll be left staring from the outside in, which is an eye candy better than any wannabee BranJelina could ever be.

No comments:

Post a Comment