Wacky Words of WineSense

Interested in a review, got a comment or question? EMAIL Us!

Sip, pour, get me some more.

Learn more about Ms. WackSense (Christina Julian) at christinajulian.com

Brussels Sprouts Aren’t Just for Babies!

I’ve always been a broccoli and green beans kind of gal, but as time passes the more whimsical I find myself. As such I started dabbling with sprouts. Alfalfa, Brussels, more Brussels. Damn those things are tasty boiled up in the comforts of my own home, where nobody would mock me for eating such an unglamorous veggie. Then as I frolicked about town, trying to be the taste of my town I noticed an odd movement in the restaurant world. One that involved (gasp!) Brussels sprouts. These went well beyond your average bake and boil varieties that I had been toying with. These were sexy and saucy sprouts. Buttery and basking in bacon in some instances. I am no longer a closeted sprout fan. I figure if they’re a semi-regular menu offering at such St. Helena culinary hot spots like Cook and Press I am safe to admit my addiction and I suggest you do the same. While you can find these delightful mini-heads of lettuce looking vegetables all over, these two varieties are my favorites. Cook is in the number one position with Press coming in as a close second. I don’t know what the heck they are actually doing in the kitchen with this stuff, I just pray it’s legal. Here’s what I taste. Cook’s variety: sliced and sautéed in butter and lots of garlic, then grilled in some type of contraption so that they are lightly crisp and toasty on the outside while not being mushy or overdone on the inside. Surely there are other spices and secrets rolling around in there, but I get so lost in the explosion in my mouth I loose my train of thought while eating. Press’s variety: almost as equally buttery, toasty brown, though not crisp like Cook’s. There are big chunks of bacon (sans all the fat, heavy on the pork) laced within, likely scored fresh off the bacon bar. I will tangent for a moment. I never thought I would live somewhere that ups the standard oyster and cheese bar ante for something like a bar full of piggy delights, who knew! Anyhow, either place you sample this oft overlooked veggie you’re in for a treat. I suggest you shovel some gushy spouts in the toddlers' mouths and get out there and score some of your own. Wacky WineSense Ratings: Cook: 4.9, Press: 4.7

No comments:

Post a Comment